redecorating - before and after

I always enjoy seeing before and after pictures of people's redecorated homes, so I thought I'd give you a tour of our place, which we moved into a year ago today.

Entrance before

After

I found the old hand-lettered surgery sign in the basement. You can tell how old it is by the three digit phone number! Too cute.

Two collages by Karl Chitham

Stairwell before

After
A Bronwynne Cornish Owl Oracle guards the hallway

 Lounge before

 Before
Before

After
After
Graham Fletcher's big Lounge Room Tribalism painting dominates the main wall, so I moved the sofa forward to give it breathing room.

A Stanley Palmer print, which the artist gifted to my father-in-law in the 60s, hangs above the deco fireplace...

alongside my latest purchase - a gorgeous ceramic house / boat by Carol Robinson that I bought from the Black Shed Gallery in Waipu before Christmas. It reminds me a bit of Howl's Moving Castle (without the legs).

 Dining Room Before

Before

Before

After
Apart from the dining room, the whole house has been painted in the neutral colour, pearl lustre. I really wanted a warm colour for the dining room though, so I chose Beryl Green from Karen Walker's latest range inspired by the Bauhaus colour palette. 


I found the cute teapot curtain fabric at Spotlight and I've placed my 60s china cabinet beneath the window where I can display my Hanmerware pots and other lovelies. The chubby yellow pot was a recent find in an antique shop in Paeroa.



Two embroidered knitting patterns by Katharine Claypole, bought from Rayner Brothers Gallery  
 in Whanganui look very cool against the pale green wall in the dining room. 

 Master bedroom before

 before

After
I found the dear little blue bedside tables at Farmers, and splashed out on four metres of Italian linen at Firefly Design in Devonport to make the bedroom curtains.

Kitchen before
 After
After

The kitchen received a fresh coat of paint and a thorough declutter!

 Laundry Before

After
We didn't bother painting the laundry, but this was definitely the place where a whole lot of clutter had accumulated and needed to go.

 Stairwell

Unfortunately, my 'before' shots of the upstairs have mysteriously vanished from the camera, so the 'after' shots will have to suffice. I couldn't resist the felt beehive light shade from Firefly Design.

 Upstairs hallway
The American books occupy these shelves

 Upstairs Library

Classical and Japanese and Chinese Literature take up these two big shelves. If you want to see the full extent of Jack's library (around 20,000 books) he has a blog devoted to his book collection here: A Gentle Madness

Upstairs Library

The Pania Press archive is displayed in an old china cabinet

Upstairs Guest-room


A Richard Parker vase and an early Graham Fletcher painting are joined by two finds from the basement: an oil painting of a vineyard by Punch illustrator Stuart Boyd, dated 1913, and a watercolour titled Lone Pines, Corsica by an artist whose name I can't quite make out. It probably dates from the  early 20th century as well and was a wedding present to somebody, judging by the sentimental verse written on the back of the picture.

 Upstairs Office


The New Zealand book collection takes up three shelves (built by Jack's brother Jim when he was a teenager).

And last but by no means least, here are the two master painters (and thoroughly lovely gents) responsible for making our house look so fresh and lovely: Dave and Brian from HDL.

Comments

Popular Posts