a new love


I jumped at the chance to attend a rag rug workshop run by Vita Cochran at McCahon House over the weekend. Even the appalling humidity and torrential rain couldn't dampen the spirits of the dozen craft enthusiasts (all women) who gathered to learn about this thrifty craft technique. Vita showed us images of a glorious array of hooked rugs that she and the women in her family have made over the years. 

Then we got underway, choosing a woollen garment or two from a big colour-coded assortment to cut into strips and turn into a 'one-step' hooked rug. It's an incredibly simple but addictive craft technique, and because you see progress immediately it's almost impossible to stop. I finished the middle section of my rug during the workshop and completed the border design yesterday. It now sits on a footstool and I rested my feet on its thick, squashy surface while I watched tv last night. Perfect!



Comments

Popular Posts